Here’s a checklist of the pre-existing conditions covered by health insurance policies in India
Even health insurance policies, which are designed to ensure a smooth sail in financial waters during a health crisis, come with some catches. They come with exclusion clauses that list out some conditions that will not be covered by the policy. This list usually includes conditions resulting from alcoholism and drug abuse, self-harm, criminal acts, etc. Another condition that usually makes the list is a pre-existing disease.
A pre-existing disease is a health condition that begins to affect an individual even before he seeks health insurance. For instance, cancer, high blood pressure, acne, diabetes, etc. are pre-existing conditions. Most insurance companies are wary of these conditions because they pose a possible financial risk. It is highly likely that someone with a pre-existing disease would soon require medical attention, thus requiring the insurance company to provide coverage. A healthy person may or may not fall sick, and is not considered a liability.
However, companies these days are providing health insurance covering pre-existing conditions with certain exclusions or a waiting period. Again, no company provides such a coverage from day one.
The following insurers provide coverage with some exclusions:
- Cigna TTK ProHealth Insurance provides coverage for pre-existing diseases after a waiting period of just 2 years.
- Apollo DKV Easy Health provides coverage after 3 continuous policy years.
- Bajaj Allianz Health Guard provides coverage after 4 continuous policy years.
- ICICI Prudential MediAssure provides coverage only for pre-existing conditions that are declared at the inception and are specifically accepted by the company.
- Reliance General provides coverage after 2 continuous policy years.
- Royal SundaramHealthShield provides coverage after 5 continuous years.
Here are some examples of pre-existing conditions:
- High blood pressure
- Sleep apnea
- Extreme obesity
Make sure that you know your health insurance policy like the back of your hand before you make a purchase. Never conceal information regarding your health and lifestyle from your insurer, as it can only backfire on you. Always be honest while filling out the form and keep your insurer updated regarding any changes in your health and lifestyle. To browse through easy-EMI and easy-return insurance plans, visit Cigna TTK’s website here: https://www.new-site.cignattkinsurance.in/